Below is the highlight from my weekly activities on the web.
Tales from the Net
- The Harry Potter movie series might be coming to an end (yes, “an”), but this is where I read the entire story.
- Started watching this video thinking it’s another feel-better slogan. Boy I was the one so superficial. This is the video I needed to watch when I was her age. I guess it’s the same for most of us.
- "Don’t say you were a bit confused and sort of tired and a little depressed and somewhat annoyed. Be confused. Be tired. Be depressed. Be annoyed."
- (“I was getting a haircut the other day and I saw your article”). I mention this as a reminder that far more periodical reading is done under the dryer than under the reading lamp, so there isn’t much time for the writer to fool around."
- "Trying to add style is like adding a toupee. At first glance the formerly bald man looks young and even handsome. But at second glance—and with a toupee there’s always a second glance—he doesn’t look quite right. The problem is not that he doesn’t look well groomed; he does, and we can only admire the wigmaker’s skill. The point is that he doesn’t look like himself."
— William Zinsser, On Writing Well
- I am definitely not the only one who believes The Hunger Games is about the annual hot dog eating contest to choose the next global leader.
- Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach. No, I am not talking about teachers. I am talking about consultants, economists, and psychics.
- I suspect doctors prescribe excessive pills not only for receiving subsidies but also because they actively rely on placebo effects.