Sometimes makes me crazy. Too many exceptions, too many "it depends".
Let’s see how inconsistent the articles rules are. Reference: Exploring Grammar in Context
- The Amazon but Lake Placid
- Mount Everest but the Himalayas
- Taiwan but the Netherlands
- 75 Trent Road but the M56 (route)
- The Guardian but Time magazine
- I prefer radio to television. But Turn on the radio and the TV.
- I play golf. But I play the piano.
- I go to school. But I go to the church.
- The United Kingdom but northern England
These are only the beginnings. I think an entire semester in a university could be spent on article usage (and plurals). It is a long way to go. Sigh.